Wealthy jacket Wearable Health Care System has won the Avantex Innovation Prize 2005
Athens 13 May 2005The Wealthy jacket "Wearable Health Care System", has won the "Avantex Innovation Prize 2005". The prizes will be awarded during a ceremony at Avantex and Techtextil 2005 in Frankfurt am Main. Additionally, the prize-winning developments will be presented to an audience of international trade visitors in a special exhibition during Avantex and Techtextil, June 7-9, 2005.
The aim of the Innovation Prizes is to draw attention to the latest developments, to promote unconventional ways of thinking and to intensify the dialogue between research, industry and users. A condition of entries for the Avantex Innovation Prize was that the developments must have been made in connection with the value-added chain of the apparel industry.
The Avantex Innovation Prize was open to entries in the following sectors:
- New material, technology and processing developments, e.g., new fibres and yarns, new finishes, nanotechnology, electronic systems in garments
- Fashion/lifestyle: fashion aspects combined with new technologies and new functions
- Health care: medical applications through apparel
- Sports/outdoor: combinations of comfort and function
- Workwear/protection: innovations for safety and protection at work
The Wealthy Jacket is a wearable and wireless-instrumented garment, which is able to detect user-specific physiological signals, using:
- "Smart" sensors, which provide direct sensing capabilities to textile materials,
- An intelligent system for data representation and alert functions, which is able to create intelligent patient feedback and deliver appropriate information to a target professional,
- Electronic devices for transmitting the signals by means of GPRS using the standard GSM network, thus allowing usage of the sensing garment "anywhere" - at home, at work, at the hospital/rehabilitation centre as well as away from a local base station
- Advanced telecommunication protocols and services (e.g. Bluetooth for short range).
Within the project, ATKOSoft was responsible for the development of software that defines and interprets the functions of sensors based on predefined activity scenarios such as: rest, normal status, activity, exercise, abnormal status, critical status, etc. In addition, ATKOSoft was responsible for the development of a system that monitors the data of each patient session and records the progress in the data management system.
Wealthy Project was supported by the 5th Framework IST Programme of the European Union and the implementing organisations, including ATKOSoft, were: Milior S.P.A. - co-ordinator - Italy, Universita degli studi di Pisa - Italy, CSEM S.A. - Switzerland, Institute National des Sciences Appliquées de Lyon - France, Fondazione Centro San Raffaele del Monte Tabor - Italy, Centre de Recherches du Service de Santé des Armées - France, MESSE Frankfurt GMBH - Frankfurt and the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique - France.
For more information regarding the Wealthy Jacket, please visit the Wealthy Jacket Web address.
[Medical IT News][Calendar][Virtual Medical Worlds Community][News on Advanced IT]