Medical professional diagnostic software Medisentio: a medical Google model
Zottegem 02 August 2005The Internet and Intranet age makes it possible to consult a whole range of medical information sources for laymen and medical professionals. This possibility of "medical advice" is used by patients and non-patients in a huge manner: medical sites have been cited as most often consulted by Internet users after sex and sports (BBC 2/2/2002). Medical professionals and laymen have been frustrated by the information quality and relevance and by the time used necessary to find useful and quality medical information.
This difficulty in finding quality medical information has several explanations:
- The medical professionals (and laymen) use a different language.
- The medical information base is enormous and expanding in a logarithmic manner.
- The medical language is confusing to both laymen and professionals by its ambiguity and "non-controlled language".
- No medical database is set up on a "controlled language" basis, not even in standard medical books.
- The time consuming aspect of Intranet searches which make searches by professionals impractical.
The medical software package "Medisentio" which is operational on a personal computer has been developed on a "controlled language" basis. This software has taken 10 man-years and 5 computer-years to be elaborated by medical professionals.
This "Second Opinon" software is capable of giving a (differential) diagnosis as "output" by giving two or more symptoms and/or laboratory results and/or radiology tests and/or other "medical input". This differential diagnosis "output" is complete according to its structure and vocabulary which contains only "controlled vocabulary" words and texts.
The differential diagnosis chooses between 4500 (disease) files which contain complete medical information on a "controlled vocabulary" basis about prevalence, incidence, risk factors, prognosis, cost-effectiveness, pathogenesis, symptoms, laboratory test, radiology, bacteriology, serology, chromosomal mutations, differential diagnosis, complications, therapy, prevention, international criteria, and management (with references).
Advantages of this "Second Opinion" medical software are:
- The software package is usable for non-computer initiated people through its easy structure and use for both medical professionals and laymen.
- Efficiency of search proccess using a standard language allows more files to be found that are relevant to the input.
- A complete search of the medical information base is possible in two seconds (about 4500 disease specific files in about 1 Gigabyte) with a 1Gb Hz computer.
More information is available by contacting Dr. Johan Boie, Pneumologist/Internal Medecine, Molenstraat 18, B-9620 Zottegem, Belgium or by visiting the Medisentio Web site.
[Medical IT News][Calendar][Virtual Medical Worlds Community][News on Advanced IT]