"WebVMC's RemoteNurse system is now in 19 states", stated Bill Behnke, chief development officer for WebVMC. "We also just signed a partnership agreement with a supplier of telehealth solutions in the United Kingdom who will represent our product there and in European Union nations, so we definitely feel we are going to continue with this growth and expansion of our line."
Now recognized as an industry leader in telehealth solutions, WebVMC recognized early on the need for innovative solutions to monitor an aging population, especially those with chronic illnesses. That recognition, combined with the speed and adaptability of product production and development, enabled them to create a system that provides better care for patients via the Internet. Customers of WebVMC have reported significant savings to their programmes through reduced hospital re-admissions, fewer nursing visits and improved medication adherence.
"Customers recognize the value of the software-based system in its ability to be connected in any vertical or setting and on multiple platforms that can be accessed anywhere, anytime", noted Scott Sheppard, president and chief technology officer of WebVMC. "It can actually notify clinicians when there is a problem so they can make an early intervention and head off a possible re-hospitalization or unnecessary emergency room visit."
During 2006, a number of software enhancements were made to WebVMC's telehealth system that required no additional expense or hardware upgrades to clients, including:
- Branching logic - A patient session now consists of customized questions, measurements and educational content, and additional question types such as multiple choice and range scales.
- Audible questions and answers - Both questions and answers are now audible to patients who may be visually impaired.
- Additional languages - French, Russian, and German translation have been completed for all questions/protocols and measurement instructions.
- Additional measurement devices - Ascensia Contour glucometer; Ascensia Breeze glucometer; Nonin Finger clip pulse oximeter - these and other measurement devices can be attached to any port on the RemoteNurse.
- Patient Calendar - A patient calendar has been added to the Remote Access website to allow easy scheduling of reminders.
- Customization - Ability to program for every patient and illness.
- Unlimited patient capacity at kiosk - The RemoteNurse kiosk can be used to monitor an unlimited number of patients at one location. The kiosk capability enabled pioneering programmes like those at the Roanoke Chowan Community Health Center in Ahoskie, North Carolina to bring health care to one of the most disadvantaged populations in the United States through screening and monitoring at schools, churches, and community centres as well as in the home.
- Videoconferencing - Enabled by a video phone that works over POTS and IP networks, and runs on the same RemoteNurse software.