The HIM service from Carestream Health is aimed at hospitals and imaging centres choosing to manage the exponential growth of patient data by outsourcing for disaster recovery or multi-site virtual archiving and work flow. These innovative services are based on a "pay as you go" principle, with a simple business model consistent with those operated within many hospitals across Europe.
In France, as in many other European countries, initial and ongoing costs of infrastructure are the greatest barriers to health care IT adoption. These challenges have led to introduction of the "Avenant 24" initiative, which offers a financial incentive to private facilities in France implementing a digital archiving solution for radiology images. Several of the sites in France now connected to HIM from Carestream Health selected the service as a direct result of this initiative.
"In mammography, comparison with prior exams is essential to correctly interpret the evolution of anomalies", stated Dr. Jean-Yves Seror, Senologist at the Centre Duroc in Paris. "We are not IT specialists and were immediately interested in the HIM concept proposed by Carestream Health. The service meets our needs for efficient archiving of images, fast retrieval and access to priors and removes all the long-term financial and technical implications linked to maintaining an effective, dependable archiving system."
Carestream Health's remote archive architecture involves installation of a Data Access Point, which provides the interface between the site and the data centre and interaction with local systems through standard protocols and the web server. The service is based on a Grid infrastructure that supports both local and remote storage and is powered by Kodak Versatile Intelligent Patient Archive (VIParchive) software, the leading radiology archiving platform that allows on-site storage for quick access to data to be combined with off-site storage at a data centre for protection, disaster recovery, data exchange and access.
Developed in Europe, the key advantages of Carestream Health's remote archive services are:
- A flexible combination of on-site and remote storage to meet existing work flows with on-site storage ranging from a few days to several years
- Enables a virtual community with all sites connected, even where different PACS, modalities and workstations are operating
- Secure remote access by authorised users using intelligent streaming for smooth transfer of images, even large studies
- Data centre distribution to referring physicians with remote viewing through a web portal
- Interfaces to any PACS, modalities and RIS systems using IHE standards (DICOM, HL7)